Henry R. Snyder was born on a farm in Shelby County, Ohio, on May 9, 1866, being one of six brothers. After completing his work in the district school he took a bookkeeping course at Lebanon Normal University. Mr. Snyder went to Seattle in 1890, later returning as far as Hannibal, Mo., and still later to Dayton. He was elected City Infirmary Director in 1898, serving three years. He was appointed patrolman in 1901, and has won the esteem of the department to the extent that he has been appointed one of the trustees of the Police Pension Fund. Mr. Snyder has a wife, Susie, and seven children.